Our current home has just 2 bedrooms, so when we found out we were having a boy I knew I wouldn’t be putting together a nursery just for him. A shared boy and girl room seemed like a challenge, but I put a lot of thought into making it a space that my girly girl would love while still keeping some boy-friendly areas. My daughter chose the theme, but then I took over from there. She wanted mermaids, so I generalized the theme to make it a little more gender neutral. We went with Under the Sea… mermaids for her and whales for him!
We painted the room a beautiful light aqua color. Most of the furniture was left from my daughter’s original nursery and we added a mini crib for the new baby. The bedding and accessories are a mix of handmade, Target, Pottery Barn, Tiny Prints, and a couple DIY projects. Some of my favorite detail are listed below.
- Mermaid Scale coffee filter wall art
- Big girl bedding of mermaid sheets and a wave quilt
- DIY bubble chandelier
- Coral, the handmade mermaid doll
- “A Mermaid Sleeps Here” pillow (see below to make your own!)
- Navy and aqua quilt that was handmade by my aunt
- Personalized name pillow including all of his birth stats
- Wood California rattle
- Customized whale canvas with the quote “Dream Big, Little One”
- Handmade wood rocking horse that was lovingly crafted by my uncle
- “You Are Loved by Me” watercolor painting from my baby sprinkle decor