Serene, ocean-inspired nursery for our baby girl with vintage and eclectic details in muted, but colorful earthy gem tones.
We knew we wanted a room for our baby girl that wasn't the typical pastel colored nursery. Since my husband and I are both beach lovers, we thought we'd do an ocean/mermaid theme using a jewel-toned color palette. I also wanted to throw in some natural fibers, such as light wood, drift wood and wicker.
I fell in love with the Jenny Lind crib and once we found out we were having a little girl, we decided this would be her crib. Based on that, I knew I wanted an older, vintage feel for the remaining furniture. I spent countless hours hunting (both online and in stores) for the perfect dresser and finally found an antique Drexel dresser on Craigslist that had the cutest button detailing and also complimented the crib. Later I also found a Drexel nightstand on Craigslist, that wasn't a perfect match, but the bowed lines and etching matched well enough.
The majority of bedding and decorations were inspired by the ocean and mermaids and mostly DIY or modified in some way, shape or form.
The room has odd window, closet and door placements, so it was challenging to place things in a way that made sense, but also looked good. The space over the crib is blank, so that we can put her name there (once we meet her).
Thrifty, fun, minimalistic and earthy.
- Crib: Davinci Jenny Lind 3-in-1 convertible crib
- Crib sheet: DIY (inspiration tutorial here)
- Bed skirt: DIY (inspiration tutorials here and here)
- Crib blanket: handmade (pattern and details here)
- Dresser: antique, second-hand Drexel 8-drawer (refinishing and diy details here on my blog)
- Changing table topper: second hand Bombay Company (refinished in "Swiss Coffee" white)
- Starfish lamp: second-hand (base handpainted and bronze buttons added by me)
- Rocking chair: second-hand Pier One (refinished in "Swiss Coffee" white)
- Rocking chair cushion covers: DIY (inspiriation tutorials here)
- Nightstand: antique, second-hand Drexel/Table Rock 1-drawer nightstand (refinished in "Swiss Coffee" white)
- Mobile: DIY (inspiration from this cute Blabla Dream Ring mobile and I made the mermaid doll from this adorable Mermaiden and face patterns)
- Chandelier: World Market (8-inch Coffee Capiz Hanging Pendant Lantern)
- Scalloped bunting flags: DIY (inspiration tutorial here)
- Blinds: Home Depot (Bali Essential custom blinds in "Coconut")
- Window Cornices: DIY (inspiration tutorial here and here)
- Shell Artwork: DIY (inspiration tutorial here and here)
- Wall color: Behr's Baked Scone
- Ceiling color: Behr's Cottage White
- Trim color: Behr's French Roast
Can't decide between the mermaid mobile and the scalloped bunting flags! Oh and maybe the coral window cornices :p
Plan, plan, plan and use Pinterest. Search the web for a ideas and items and visit many vintage and fabric stores. Try to be as original as you can, but use online resources as inspiration.