A gender neutral nursery featuring green rolling hills, monkeys, and birds.
The room needed to be gender neutral since we weren't going to find out our baby's gender until the birth. I started off wanting to find some way to incorporate monkeys into the room (they're just so cute!), but didn't want to have a full monkey theme. I came across the Land of Nod "Oh, What a Beautiful Morning" bedding and fell in love with the colors and overall bright, serene feeling of it. The bumper features a sun and rolling hills, which inspired me to bring the hills and sky into the room itself with paint and create an entire atmosphere. I found the tree, monkey, and bird decals on etsy and thought that would be a great way to add the monkeys I had wanted.
Simple, clean lines, crisp, but at the same time a sense of playfulness. I wanted the room to feel inviting and fun!
- crib: Munire Urban Safeside in white
- dresser: Ikea Hemnes in white
- glider & ottoman: Shermag Cherry Glider & nursing ottoman with Bella Buckwheat Fabric
- wall decals: tree, monkey, and bird decals from etsy.com seller designedDESIGNER
- crib bedding: “Oh, What a Beautiful Morning” from LandOfNod.com, including window valances, chick pillow, and changing pad cover
- “I Think I Canvas” green hamper from LandOfNod.com
- green rug from Ikea
- clock (DIY): wood circle, clock parts, & acrylic paint from Michael’s
- lamp (DIY): lamp base & shade from Target, fabric for shade from JoAnn Fabrics, yellow spray paint for base from Michael’s
- dresser drawer knobs (DIY): wood knobs from Lowe’s; acrylic paint & clear glossy spray from Michael’s
- bird mobile (DIY): felt, embroidery hoop & ribbon from Michael’s; stuffing from JoAnn Fabrics; fishing line, & thread
- framed art: lion, monkey, and giraffe art from baby shower decoration banner, white 8×8 frames from Michael’s
- floating shelves: Ennospace Oliver in White from Amazon.com
- bookshelf (DIY): wood from Mendard’s, paint
- Skubb boxes from Ikea
- closet bar dividers (DIY): blank dividers from The Container Store, scrapbook paper
- green storage bins and hanging shelves: Koala Baby from Babies R Us
- organization tags on green bins (DIY): scrapbook paper and ribbon
The DIY projects are my favorite items. The bird mobile in particular is my most favorite -- it took a day's worth of work to make, but it ended up turning out exactly as I had pictured in my head and that was rewarding!
Don't be scared of DIY projects! There are a lot of simple things you can make and you feel much more fulfilled than just buying an item! Plus, you can make something that more closely matches your room and save some money at the same time.