A bright, fun and tropical pineapple themed 1st birthday party - even if it was a few days before Christmas!
I was born and lived in Hawaii as a child and Hawaii and pineapples have always had a very special place in my heart. Everything is pineapples around here! Even though Lucy was born a few days before Christmas, I knew before she was born that we'd have a pineapple or luau themed party for her 1st birthday! Pineapples are a symbol of hospitality and friendliness - which are traits that I hope Lucy posses as an adult. We look forward to taking her there one day and sharing our pineapple obsession with her!
Bright, colorful, cheerful, modern, Kate Spade-ish.
- Whole sale tissue paper balls were purchased from Devra Party Corp. They offer beautiful colors and these shades of pink were SO vibrant and beautiful!
- Pineapple tissue paper balls (large and small), pink metallic 'LUCY IS ONE' letter balloons and straws were purchased from Zurchers.
- Flamingos and pineapple cups were purchased from Oriental Trading Co.
- Heavy-duty 5lb Command Hooks held everything up. I truly couldn't have done anything without them! They held everything up easily and came off cleanly without damaging my walls.
- The borders were made with long sections of chicken wire and everything was attached with pipe-cleaners. I hung these after I attached everything with Command Hooks.
- Tropical leaves were purchased from Hobby Lobby, 50% off, of course! I needed more than I initially thought - I went back 3 times to buy more.
- Yellow and white striped background is 7yds of fabric purchased from Hobby Lobby. I hung with plain old masking tape, which surprisingly held up very well. Tip - buy delicate surface masking tape so that your paint doesn't chip off when taking down.
- Cute pink cake stands purchased from Hobby Lobby.
- Pineapple cupcake toppers, cake topper, birthday banner, pineapple cup tags were made myself using my Cricut Machine.
- Lucy's pineapple 'one' top was purchased from BellesandBeausInc Etsy Shop.
- My mother baked the yummy pineapple-flavored cupcakes with gold pineapple toppers. The pink flamingo cupcakes were an idea from Pinterest and were chocolate chip flavored. The eyes were chocolate chips and white candy chips that you can buy from the baking section at any craft store and the noses were chocolate covered candy corns (which can easily be found during the off-season at Cracker Barrel). Tutorial for these.
- Pineapple drink dispenser is from Pier One Imports, which we filled with a pineapple flavored adult beverage.
- We served food inspired by Hawaii - shredded pork sliders, pineapple cupcakes and of course, pineapple on the fruit platter, among lots of other party type foods.
- Tasty pork slider recipe
- Invitations were purchased from Sunday Designs Etsy shop, which we texted to our guests instead of mailing.
- Photography is a hobby of mine, so I photographed all details myself.
This party took months of planning and was truly a DIY event. I was only able to work on projects after Lucy went to sleep for the night. Setup took 3 days and I am very grateful for family that helped with all the food the day-of! Most supplies were ordered online to save time.
I would definitely recommend the Command Hooks, but carefully read the instructions, buy the name brand and be sure to get the right size hooks!