Instead of traditional pink for a girl's nursery, I went with turquoise and used pink for accents. With such a small room, I thought modern, clean-line furniture would be the most appealing. http://ababyadogandablog.blogspot.com/
I was looking for non traditional bedding that did not scream baby. Also, I wanted to paint the walls turquoise and was thrilled when I found the Coco Dot bedding from Pottery Barn Kids.
Recently I have been trending toward a more modern style with some unexpected antique pieces.
- Paint: Tropicana Cabana from Benjamin Moore
- Crib: Baby Mod Parker Crib from Wal-Mart
- Wardrobes: Aneboda Wardrobe from Ikea
- Bedding: Coco Dot from Pottery Barn Kids
- Changing Table: Dwell Studio Silver Lake from Target
- Knobs on the changing table: The Sea Wife
- Mirror: Marshalls (was black and I painted it dark turquoise)
- Curtains: Sheets turned Curtains from HOME at Target
- Valance: Bloom Shower Curtain from Target
- Mobile: Blabla inspired mobile made by my mother-in-law to match perfectly with my colors
- Rocking chair: taken from my parents’ house
- Cushion: Marshalls
- Dresser: craigslist purchase, first painted blue and then turquoise
- Knobs on the dresser: TJ MAXX
- Artwork: Ikea Frames with Baby Shower Cards from Danielle and Diana
- Chandelier: taken from my parents’ house
- Hamper: Marshalls
- All because two people fell in love frame: gift from my Aunt Linda & Uncle Keenan
- First photo frame: gift from my father-in-law
- Birdcage lamp: taken from my parents’ house and repurposed into a lamp with a light kit and some pink spray paint
I love the whole room! But if I had to choose, I would pick the mobile made by my mother in law.
Begin by picking 4 or so colors. So for me, I took the crib sheet and pulled all of my colors from there. I then took the sheet to Benjamin Moore and matched each color to a paint swatch. I taped them all together and carried that around in my purse. I never had to guess if something would match.
Also, shop around! You never know what you might find that can be repurposed into what you need. For example, I created the curtains out sheets and the valance out of a shower curtain.
Check out my blog to learn more about the project.
Friday 17th of September 2010
I super love that mirror. I'm going to be honest with you, turquoise was never my favorite. What color would you have used for this aside from that?
Friday 27th of August 2010
TheLifeofPi - Its really easy to combine the old with the new when the old is given to you for free :)
The rocking chair was in my room growing up so I had planned to paint it to give it some new life. However I couldn't bring myself to do that (my dad lovingly striped it many years ago) so I just added some accessories to make it fit in the room.
Thursday 26th of August 2010
Well, I think the turquoise is really cool and bright. And it goes well with the pink too! I also love the way you have modern trimmings and then mash it up with some older pieces. You have to tell us if it's not difficult to do that! :)
Wednesday 25th of August 2010
I am in love with this color scheme, and think your mobile may the cutest one I've ever seen!
Tuesday 24th of August 2010
Lovely mobile... I like the blablas but they are too expensive... so I gave it as a project for my mother to knit... We will see how that turns out!! ;-)