This is our daughter's first "big girl" room. Her room is pretty small, but has great light and high ceilings. The lilac inspiration came from the first color she learned, purple. We chose to accent with a buttery yellow. I think we accomplished a super sweet toddler room while avoiding that "kiddie" feel. It's classic and cheerful, and has an airy, roomy feeling even though it's a small room in the corner of our house. And she loves it! The vertical stripes are easy with a lot of painters tape and the antique bed sits high giving her a princess feel. I hope Project Gallery readers like it, as we had so much fun putting it together.
Maggie's first color was purple. That was the first step in designing her toddler room. Then when a friend found this incredible antique full-size bed it inspired the rest of the room.
My decorating style is traditional with a cozy, farmhouse feel. I prefer to use antiques and reproductions when I can find them.
DIY Painted Striped Walls: My first advice is to get someone with a lot of patience to help you. The painting part is quick and easy but take your time to measure, tape and double check before painting. Then be patient while the paint dries before pulling the tape off.
- Base Paint: Valspar Devine Cream in Satin, pre-mixed with primar (available at Lowes)
- Thick 1ft Stripes: Valspar Whisper Lilac in Semi-Gloss (Lowe's)
- Thin 1/2 inch Stripes: Valspar Sassy Lilac in Semi-Gloss (Lowe's)
- Bed and Mirror: Bella Patina in Kansas City, MO
- Dresser: Good Ju Ju in Kansas City, MO
- Dresser Knobs: Anthropologie
- Monogrammed Pillow: Petit Minou by Christine Elliot Designs on Etsy.com
- Monogrammed Sheets: Company Kids Percale bedding in Buttercup
- Quilt and Euro Shams: Lillian Quilted Bedding by Pottery Barn Kids
- Shelves: Available at Hobby Lobby. They come in a pale pink. I painted them Pineapple Mouse (Valspar at Lowes) to match the bedding.
The bed. I fell in love with it over a text message photo and knew it was meant for this room.
This came out better than I expected! I have a few more details to add (yellow book baskets and something over her bed) but I will have patience finding those things over time. I was worried about the varying shades of purples but it all worked. Just go with it.