Welcome to Grant's nursery. The nursery is loosely animal themed, with several nods to Grant's dad's interest in Africa. We think it's bit modern and eclectic, a perfect reflection of our diverse interest and tastes. We were going for a touch of whimsy and hoping for a look that could grow right along with our guy.
Our desire was to create a modern nursery that's warm, comforting and loaded with animal friends and polka dots. We were on a pretty tight budget, so we needed to use some things we already had: a bookcase, pillows, rocking chair, a favorite painting and empty frames to name a few. Our true inspiration was our darling son, who we simply couldn't wait to meet!
A mix of vintage and modern, and certainly eclectic. We live in a rental so some of our options are a bit limited. We also have very little closet space so we needed to find clever ways to store things.
Use what you have and be creative. We did lots of DIY in this space. Many thousand thanks to my husband for his work painting the many slats of the changing table. Mwwwah!
We love the little touches in this room:
- the bird mobile above the changing table came from Uganda where my husband has studied music extensively;
- the changing table was purchased used and repainted to coordinate;
- the mobile above the crib is based on a fifth grade craft project and made from some of my favorite recycled greeting cards;
- the alphabet wall art has the letters from Grant's name highlighted in coordinating colors; and
- the map is big and adds lots of impact for only 8 bucks.
Have fun and enjoy your time preparing the nursery. I thought it was a special thing to do but it certainly paled in comparison to meeting Grant.