We originally weren't going to find out the gender of out little one, so we set out for a gender neutral room at first. Then, we buckled and opened our sonogram to find out we're having a boy! Needless to say, we tried to stay true to gender neutrality but it's hard knowing a little boy will grow up in there! I really dislike themes, matching sets, and spending a ton of money on furniture that has a short lifespan. We bought all the furniture used, I sewed everything in the room except the quilt hanging on the crib - which my mom made for us. All in all, we created a room that we love for less than $300. The best part, most of these items will be re-purposed/reused as he grows.
There was no one thing that inspired me, but I really wanted something colorful. I decided on primary colors and various other bold colors early on with the pom poms, then picked fabrics that worked well with it.
The quilt is made from Moda - "It's a hoot" fabrics. The pom poms and artwork (alphabet & quote) are from Etsy. There is a piece of artwork missing, but we're keeping his name secret and the piece in the middle has his initial in it. The family tree was just an idea I had with cheap frames from various local antique/consignment stores - all spray painted yellow. The elephant fabric was from fabric.com, on sale! The fabric in the embroidery rings and on the ottoman is by Zoe Pearn, the Alphabet Soup collection. The furniture was all used and bought from craigslist. The rug is from Ikea. The dresser pulls are from Potterybarn, but discontinued. I found them on ebay and spray painted them yellow.
It's probably a toss up between the poms, which I love because they were inexpensive and add a ton of fun color. And the dresser, with the pulls it turned out to be exactly what I wanted.
Be creative! Don't feel like you HAVE to get a bedding set and then use all the colors inside. Nothing in our room was part of a set, but when you put it together - magic!