Since I'm going to be a single mom, I decided it was best to live with my parents at their house. They were nice enough to let me have a room in the house to create a nursery in. Somehow almost everything in the nursery turned into a DIY project and my mom and I have been working for the last several months to get everything together. She's very creative and talented at sewing and has helped bring out my crafty side as well! Designing the nursery has been an experience I will always treasure because it truly brought my mom and I closer. :)
Project Nursery and Etsy. After I decided on an Owl theme, I found an adorable owl quilt and tree wall decal on Etsy and used those as the inspiration pieces for the rest of the nursery.
I'm not a fan of the mass produced nursery decor and packaged "bed in a bag" crib bedding. I LOVE unique items that can't be found in stores. Things that are handmade hold so much more meaning and I love the personal touch they give. I also wanted to create a room that could grow with him...that was childlike but not your typical baby room.
- Crib: Costco
- Dresser/Changer: Costco
- Twin Bed w/ pull out drawers on bottom for storage: Costco
- Bookshelf: Costco
- Crib Bedding: DIY- Custom made by my mom
- Owl Quilt: Etsy- http://www.etsy.com/shop/barabooboo
- Crib Mobile: DIY- Hanging lantern from Ikea, Felt and fabric from Hobby Lobby and other fabric stores, White leaf ribbon from Etsy...Designed and handsewn by me, Machine sewn by my mom
- Mirror: Ikea/DIY- Spraypainted orange
- Flokati Rug: Costco
- Hanging name Letters: DIY- Wooden letters, scrapbook paper and embellishments from Hobby Lobby
- Memory photo board: DIY- Fabric and ribbon from Hobby Lobby
- Diaper Stacker: DIY- Sewn by my mom
- Diaper Wipes holder: Etsy- http://www.etsy.com/shop/sweetmonkeytots
- Diaper changing cover: DIY- Sewn by my mom
- Floating Nightstand: Furniture in the Raw/DIY- Custom made by Furniture in the Raw in Tucson, AZ and spraypainted by my mom
- Lamp: Pottery Barn/DIY- ribbon added to lamp shade
- Owl Beanie on Lamp: Etsy- http://www.etsy.com/shop/BugysHndmdeCreations
- Stuffed Owl on Bookshelf: Etsy- http://www.etsy.com/shop/BWinks
- Lantern on Bookshelf: Z Gallerie/DIY- latern that was sitting in the backyard. We cleaned it up and spraypainted it aqua blue.
- Picture frames: Ikea
- Canvas art over Bed: Etsy- http://www.etsy.com/shop/DistinctiveModernArt
- Grow Wise Little Owl Quote: Etsy- http://www.etsy.com/people/landbgraphics
- Wall tree decal: Etsy- http://www.etsy.com/shop/Modernwalls
- Glider: We bought at a consignment store for just $20 (!) and then had it refurbished
- Stuffed Owl on Glider (also made birds on bookshelf): Etsy- http://www.etsy.com/shop/karensagez
- My mom and I really put our heart and soul into everything we made but if I had to pick I'd say the owl mobile over the crib...It was one of the first things I ever sewed and I'm very happy with how it turned out!
- I also love the family photo wall above the bed. Underneath the "Grow Wise Little Owl" quote, I framed Sepia (black and white) baby photos of my mom, dad, brother and I, and after Landon is born, I will put his baby picture in the biggest frame.
One word: Etsy!!! No matter the theme of your nursery, Etsy has so many unique things that you just can't find in stores. Plus the sellers on there are all so amazing in working with you to create custom things you will love. Also, start Early! That way you will be able to shop around for things you love and enjoy the experience instead of feeling rushed!
Baby Landon Owl kindergarten - Diy Project
Friday 8th of November 2019
[…] projectnursery.co … […]
Baby Landon Owl kindergarten - Diy Craft
Sunday 3rd of November 2019
[…] projectnursery.co … […]
Tuesday 16th of October 2012
I would love to know where you got the fabric. Name of the fabric would be super helpful too!
Sunday 10th of June 2012
Cute cute cute......where did you get the fabric for the bedding?
Monday 2nd of January 2012
Beautiful nursery!! We are expecting our second boy in May and i am using your nursery as inspiration! You did an amazing job!!