This is a classic, cozy nursery with modern touches and a collection of vintage elements. I am thrilled I was able to execute my plan and it turned out as beautiful as I had imagined.
We had a lot of work to do- as the room was floor to ceiling (literally) pink before we moved into the house! We painted all the trim, the ceiling, closets, all the doors, and floor!
My grandfather showed me an airplane propeller prop he had built years and years ago and I immediately asked if I could have it when I had my future baby. All of these years later he and I still remembered that, and so the nursery was put together around a vintage airplane theme...with out having a theme feel!
I love vintage, but I wanted it to be clean and fresh, without anything that screamed airplanes. I didn't want just go out and buy the room, I like to collect bits and pieces of a room and put it together... we definitely needed to put it all together on a budget!
- Ivory Linen Bedding, Linen drapes, Linen changing pad- Restoration Hardware Baby & Child
- Dresser- Antique store in VT
- The Crib we received from my sister and painted black
- The bookshelf I found at a yard sale years ago and refinished it Black
- Rocking Chair- craigslist find...I actually refinished this chair a month before the baby was born and re-upholstered it while in labor! I purchased the ivory linen fabric a GDC.
- Diaper Pail- World Market
- Double basket shelves i use to hold my wipe warmer, bath products, biodegradable inserts, Butt cream, etc - TJ Maxx
- Map- Yard sale find for $1!!
- Vintage Embroidered Map- My Mom found this at an antique store in MA
- Wooden carved states- Made by a friend of my mothers
- Mother Goose Nursery Rhyme Book- This belonged to my husbands father as a child
- Quilt- My husband's baby blanket made by his grandmother
- Globe, Map pillow, shag rug- Homegoods
- Antique bunny- belonged to my late aunt as a child
- The wooden box and barrel was made by my grandfather for the baby
- Wall paint color is Sherwin Williams Smoke
- Trim paint color was specially mixed
- Floor paint color is a high gloss black
I love the rocking chair because i worked so hard on it, and of course the propeller. I also love all of the little items that were made especially for our baby, and that bring everything together!!
Don't be afraid to experiment and DIY!
Wednesday 19th of September 2012
I really really love that airplane propeller -- both for the interesting and unique touch it gives the room and the very touching story that goes along with this piece. I like that vintage map too above the changing table.
Tuesday 18th of September 2012
very nice Cory....love all the family mementos ...has a nice warm ,cozy feel