What started out as a mellow, sea blue, sandy beige and white, beach inspired nursery concept for our first little one, evolved into a unique room with more pop when my husband said something like, “It is a kid’s room after all…a little more color wouldn’t hurt.” I was concerned that the room would be too boring initially, so once he said this it confirmed the direction I wanted to take. This room was a very bland guest room waiting for a baby and itching to be transformed.
Two of my favorite colors are aqua and orange – and I absolutely love the combo together. We wanted a beachy, relaxed feel in the room and these are colors we see a lot at our favorite place to relax – our family place in the Florida Keys. This is where we love to spend our vacation time, and where we learned that we were expecting. While this color combo has become popular in the last couple of years, it was difficult to find it translated into crib bedding. I knew I would have to have the bedding custom made, but had trouble finding a fabric to design the bedding around. Then I found Serena & Lily’s Aqua and Orange Club Stripe Crib Sheet. It was the perfect starting place to bring all of our colors together.
On the contemporary side of transitional. Clean lines, but warm and comfortable.
- Paint - We used Heavenly Blue paint by Benjamin Moore for the base wall color. After our painter finished, we felt it needed a little something more. I wanted to add a chevron or stripe pattern. I did some searching for other aqua and orange nurseries and came across Hawken’s Nursery by Lindsay at Anyon Design in San Francisco. Seen here on Project Nursery. We shared the same taste in some colors and crib sheetsJ I loved the striped walls and thought this would be a great accent behind our crib. So, our painter came back and painted stripes with Benjamin Moore’s Ibis White paint.
- Crib, dresser and brown wall shelf –Bratt Décor Blu collection. I don’t think the crib is available any longer. We also got the Cubbie to use for toy storage in our lower level.
- Crib Bedding – I worked with Polka Tot Designs to create the custom crib bedding to coordinate with the Serena & Lily’s Aqua and Orange Club Stripe Crib Sheet. They even made a pillow and a cuddle bear to go along with it.
- Daybed – Potterybarn’s Stratton Daybed with Baskets. This is great for storage. I have clothes stored in the basket drawers. If you have a place to put this bed where you can get to both sides, there are 6 basket drawers – tons of storage. We used the other three baskets to store other things like blankets, toys, etc.
- Daybed Bedding – I wanted simple bedding here, but again, something beachy. We choose the Square-Tuck Duvet Cover and Shams by West Elm. The cute Crab Pillow is from Garnet Hill, although I don’t think it’s available any longer.
- White wall shelves – West Elm’s Paxton Shelves
- Art –We had the “K” print custom made, by awesome Etsy designer, Paul from OneLittleDickyBird for a nice accent over the crib. The “K” is made up of little icons/pictures inspired from our beach trips, many drawn just for us. He also designed the “Sky’s The Limit Print”. The four sea animal prints were custom designed by Etsy designer, Urban Tickle. She drew three of these animals just for us and my husband got to add his own special "Did you know" fun facts to the prints. We love these special, personalized touches in the room!
- Rocking Chair –This was the chair I was rocked in as a baby over 30 years ago. It was a dated, dark brown oak. We wanted to paint it a cool color and love how it turned out. The color is Blue Ocean Breeze by Krylon. The chair cover was custom made to fit this chair.
- Curtains –We ordered white linen curtains from Crate & Barrel and my mother-in-law did a beautiful job of adding colored fabric to the bottom. We bought the same fabric used on our crib bedding fromPolka Tot Designs.
- Storage boxes & containers – The Container Store
Tuesday 12th of March 2013
I love your nrusery--we are basing ours off of the same crib sheet. How did you get the matching blanket and changing table cover though??
Thursday 12th of January 2012
Love the room! Curious as to a resource for the celing fixture? Looking for somehting similar, thanks!!
Emerson Grey Designs
Sunday 11th of December 2011
I love this serena and Lily set...I have a client that used it. It really does bring such a fun pop of color and starting point for all accessories to come. Great job!
Wednesday 7th of December 2011
Clean, bright and airy. And I think that blue-and-orange is a really unique color combination. Not to mention challenging.
Tuesday 6th of December 2011
Love how this room looks extremely peaceful and relaxing. I can sleep here all day!