Goodbye 2021, HELLO 2022! At Project Nursery, another rotation around the sun means it’s time for our annual predictions for the top 2022 nursery trends and kids room design trends to watch in the year ahead. Muted rainbows and Earth Mama vibes went hard in 2021, and while some may not be completely ready to say goodbye to boho, 2022 certainly has a lot of potential to knock it off the podium. Our team has come up with fifteen 2022 nursery trends to watch. Expect to see new textures, bold and rich colors, along with a whole lot of cool products. Bring it 2022, we’re counting on you!
1. Here Comes the Sun. ‘Cause who doesn’t love the sunshine? Cheerful and optimistic, suns will be the breakout icon of 2022.
2. Marble Walls. The enticing swirls of sophisticated marble aren’t reserved only for your kitchen or bathroom! We’re expecting marbling to take center stage in the form of gorgeous wallpapers.
3. Bouclé Textures. The nubby look of bouclé came on strong in pieces for the living room last year, and now it has made its way into the nursery too. We can’t think of a cozier fit!
4. Move Over Moody Green, It’s BLUE’s Turn. Our last year’s prediction that moody greens would be popular in the nursery was spot on. This year’s scene stealer will be our girl, blue. From dusty blue to midnight to just a little bit french country, we think the right blue can make a statement while also lending itself as a versatile neutral.
5. The Butterfly Effect. Delicate and beautiful, the butterfly has become a metaphor for transformation and hope. Can’t think of a more welcome addition to 2022—bring on the butterflies!
6. A Classic Beauty is Back. Traditional style cribs have been in hibernation, but get ready for the return of a nursery classic.
7. Kids Rooms Gone Wild. A walk on the wild side has popped up in bold ways within the playroom and the nursery. Cheetah prints, jungle and animal-inspired decor will be a breath of fresh air after a few years of minimalistic and monochromatic play spaces.
8. Whose LINE is it Anyway. Skinny, thick, triple or solo, line wall decals are trending strong. We’ve said it time and time again, wall decals are the single best way too easily and affordably get your nursery or big kid room design off and running.
9. Wood Wall Games. Think board and batten but leveled up! From complex geometric designs to simple paneling, the traditional board and batten has met its match with these new and unique wood wall designs.
10. Return to Retro. Daisy prints and retro furniture has us feeling groovy. Sweet and funky, this trend is giving us all the feels.
11. Color Us Happy. Bad news for Kim Kardashian, all neutral all the time will finally take a backseat as the re-emergence of color will reign supreme in 2022. Get ready for brighter, more playful colors to pop up in nurseries and playrooms all year.
12. Shades of Brown. Dare we say that darker wood tones are coming back? After years and years of Scandi-inspired light wood, dark wood is popping up in cribs, dressers and other furniture staples. Caramel, camel and other earthy brown tones will lead the way in layette and bedding.
13. Modern Cottage. A bit warmer than modern farmhouse with a sprinkle of granny-chic. Achieve this trend by incorporating sweet prints, a few fairy tale characters and loads of layers for a cozy, lived in feel.
14. Ahead of the Curve. We picked arches as one of or 2021 trends, and looks like it’s about to have a major glow up. Now bigger pieces like arched wood bed frames, curved gliders and round edged bookshelves are feeling so right now.
15. The Crane. Birds have been a mainstay in nursery design—ducks, owls, swans, flamingos. Now we are seeing our feathered friend, the crane, having a major moment with one of our newest wallpapers popping up in nurseries, playrooms, hallways and closets, and we’re here for it!
So what did you think of our 2022 nursery trends? Which is your favorite?