It’s a new year, and Project Nursery HQ is ready to roll out the new nursery trends and children’s design ideas! As we honor another rotation around the sun, it’s our tradition to look back on the past year’s nursery design trends and predict what will emerge in 2020. There are some new breakout stars, some trends that will remain on the scene from last year (perhaps with a little tweak) and a few big trends that we’ll say goodbye to. Without further ado, we’re using our 20/20 vision to predict our top 14 nursery trends and children’s design ideas for 2020.
1. Naturally Chic. Botanicals and nature-inspired rooms have been trending strong for a while. 2020 will be the year that nature-inspired decor will evolve from rustic to totally chic design. Get ready, mamas, because natural wood and natural tones have gone upscale.
2. Moody Green. Pantone may have chosen a blue hue as their color of the year, but when it comes to the nursery, a dark, moody shade of green is on point. While not for the timid, these dramatic greens are for those that love to take a little risk in the design department. This edgy hue has stolen all of our design hearts.
3. Desert Sunrise. Past years have brought us a few desert vibes like our cute, prickly friend, the cactus, but 2020 is all about that early morning desert sunrise! Who can resist those earthy, canyon colors like peachy corals and rusty browns to keep things calm and neutral in the nursery.
4. Changing Baskets. Move over regular-old changing topper, there’s a new sheriff in town. The changing basket is a softer way to incorporate this nursery essential. In fact, we can’t keep our best-selling Reva Basket in-stock.
5. The Muted Rainbow. The rainbow emerged as a top motif in 2019, and its softer cousin, the muted rainbow with its earthy color way, will come out to shine big this year. From decals, pillows, crib sheets and more, this sweet, fun trend will be sure to rise above the clouds.
6. Dark with Dimension. While board and batten was a 2019 trend, it’s been updated for a much bolder look. If you are going to go dark, the key is to add dimension, which is exactly what this trend accomplishes. Don’t get us wrong, we still love a bright and airy nursery, but kudos to the parents and designers that are taking this hot interior trend and bringing it into their kids’ rooms.
7. Freshly Cut Blooms. Yes, it’s true—our list wouldn’t be complete without a floral trend because let’s face it, who doesn’t love a soft and feminine nursery? Now, we aren’t going to name names, but a certain pink and gray floral has been hot, hot, hot for some time. However, in 2020, get ready to see florals in a variety of updated colorways, which offer something for everyone.
8. Citrus Punch. From clementines to grapefruit, lemons to limes, citrus fruit prints are popping up all over nurseries and big kid rooms. This delightful theme adds a splash of bright color while giving parents a gender neutral option. Find your favorite citrus in wall decor, crib sheets, wallpaper, swaddles and more!
9. Every Inch Counts. We’ve encouraged this from day one, and it’s nice to see parents making every inch count in the nursery, especially when closet space or lack thereof, is a major challenge. Closets have officially become a part of the room’s decor—highly organized and decorated to the max with decals, wallpaper and shelving. It’s truly a beautiful thing.
10. Leafy Greens. We predicted botanicals in a big way last year, and we were right! (Just sayin’) This trend is going to stick around for another year, and we’re not sad about it. Leaves in many shades of green and foliage-inspired designs from the fern family are a great way to soften up a modern design. Expect botanicals to show up in wall decals, wallpaper, bedding, garlands and more.
11. Modern Black Cribs…And Navy Too! While statement cribs have been a thing in the past (Oh hello, Vetro), this go-around will be all about the deep, dark, painted crib. It’s an emerging trend in the nursery, so I guess there’s no time like the present to introduce you to our brand new Wooster Crib in black and white!
12. Mother Nature meets Wall Mural! From misty mountain ranges to deep in the jungle to serene forest scenes, the artistry and realism of these stunning wall murals are indeed works of art.
13. Colortastic Kids Rooms. Big kid rooms stayed neutral in 2019, but watch out, cause COLOR is back and ready to play.
14. Jungle Meets Boho! Two design worlds collide, and we’re here for it!