Here we go again! The holidays came and went in a flurry and somehow it’s already 2018, which means it’s time for our annual nursery trend predictions for the year ahead. This year there are some obvious standouts as well as some silent sleepers. So, grab a second cup of coffee and dig into our top 18 nursery trends for 2018. Scroll down for lots of examples and get all the details below!
1. Lavender. With the announcement of Pantone’s 2018 Color of the Year ”Ultra Violet,” a softer side of purple is sure to reign supreme when it comes to nursery design. Expect to see hints of violet pop up alongside traditional nursery pinks, beiges and blues from manufacturers in the coming months. We’d love to see a lavender crib (wink, wink).
2. Buffalo Check. Consider this a modern take on traditional gingham. Buffalo check is happening right now, making its impression on crib sheets, wallpaper, bibs and bows! Add this fun detail to your nursery checklist stat.
3. Graceful Birds. We’re not talking about any bird here, folks. It’s all about pink flamingo art prints, swan decor and peacock feathers. They may be large in size, but there’s something irresistibly sweet and whimsical about these lovely creatures living in the nursery.
4. Playhouse Perfection. Although a good ol’ cardboard box will never go out of style, the playhouses we’re seeing now are well-built, fully curated creations. This year we predict the elevated playhouse will be the DIY project to watch!
5. Shiplap. Oh Joanna Gaines, you’ve certainly left your mark on the world! While you and Chip take a break from television and catch up on precious family time with that new bun in the oven, we will continue our love affair with shiplap, sit back and watch it make its way into nurseries everywhere, all in your honor.
6. Letterboards. Sometimes you just need to spell it out. From Instagram laughs to nursery decor, the letterboard is sure to add a smile to anyone who walks into your baby’s room.
7. Scandinavian Design. Move over industrial chic. The soft, clean lines of Scandinavian design and its signature natural wood furniture has us feeling uncluttered and just a tad lighter.
8. Master Bedroom Nursery Nooks. Parents are putting baby in the corner and doing so in style. Whether it’s small space constraints or big city living that requires baby to sleep in your bedroom, the universe has stocked up on small, stylish baby cribs and mattresses to make everyone in the room comfortable. Whether you’ll actually sleep or not, there are no guarantees.
9. Bohemian Accents. Boho has been trending hard for a while, but now it’s taking on a more subtle vibe. Accents like fringed tassels, a single hanging plant, handmade wall hangings and even hanging chairs are having their moment.
10. Statement Crib Sheets. With the decline in bumpers, it’s no surprise that the crib sheet is going bold. From personalized to floral to wild with print, there really is no limit to what we’ll see for the crib sheet this year.
11. Oversized Wall Decals. Whether we’re talking stars, animals or florals—it has all gone BIG. Oversized wall decals are the accent of choice in today’s nursery or big kid’s room.
12. Over the Rainbow. It’s rainbow reinvented! We’re seeing this ever-happy motif re-energized with muted color palettes and off-kilter designs.
13. Getting Playful with Paint. Paint has always been a tried-and-true way to make an impact in the nursery. Instead of the single painted accent wall or mural of the past, 2018 will bring an array of fun and interesting designs using paint.
14. A Trip to the Tropics. It’s getting hot in here! The tropics—and its easy, breezy vibe—is taking 2018 by storm. There’s nothing wrong with feeling like you’re on perpetual vacay!
15. Velvet. Maybe it’s the announcement of another royal wedding that’s setting this trend into motion, but we say hear, hear! to velvet in the nursery. Be on the lookout for velvet gliders in blush, navy and gray.
16. Dots Done Right. Polka dots gone wild! The dot is no doubt a classic, but this year we’ll see more dots done differently. Hand drawn, watercolor or even mini sized, dots will make a point to stand out in 2018.
17. Move Over Bunny, There’s a New Bear in Town. Big and brown, these amazing and strong creatures are stomping their way right into nursery design. Popping up on swaddles, crib sheets and even the walls, the bear will take over as animal of 2018 (and maybe even make it on the top baby name list, too!).
18. Hand Lettered Signs. We’ve seen a dramatic rise in these wooden framed hand lettered signs. Whether you opt for a name or a quote, the hand lettered style adds even more love to the sentiment inside.