The easiest song to sing to your little one is the alphabet. After my son was born and my brain was mush for the first three months the only song that popped into my head all the time was the ABC song (and some old camp songs randomly). I think the Oopsy Daisy ABC Artwork (pictured below) in his room also inspired my singing.
So why not design a nursery around a song? And not just any song, an educational song. The first item that I found to start the design of the room was the Alphabet crib bedding by Migi. This is a common starting place and the inexpensive price allows more room to to splurge on furniture and decorative pieces which will end up being used in the room for a longer amount of time anyways. The color of the bedding is a bright almost icy robin’s egg blue so since that color is so dramatic I wanted to pull colors out of the letters in the alphabet for other decorative elements. My initial thought was to paint the walls a kiwi green but when I saw the photo of the Blik wall graphics I decided on all white walls except for one stormy grey wall as pictured with the decals. Take note that painting the whole nursery in this color would be too dreary unless the room was flooded with light. I’d purchase about three sets of the graphics so that you could create an alphabet snake above the crib and a wall next to the crib. Then to personalize the nursery a bit, I chose a modern M is for Matthew piece of artwork by Oopsy Daisy to place above the changer. Since orange is a good replacement “pop” color for red, we brought in orange for the table & chair sets, in the light pendant, and on the stripes of the rug. I’m sure you recognize the standard Ikea bookcase that everyone uses, but you can’t beat the price point and the simplicity. The crib and the dresser are both elegantly modern with white and dark walnut accents. Details on the rest of the items on the inspiration board and sources are listed below. Now everybody..a..b..c..d..e..f..g…..
1. Classic Alphabet by Oopsy Daisy. A childish but not particularly baby piece of artwork wonderful for a nursery, playroom or jack & jill bathroom.
2. The Vola Glider by Monte shown in brown ultra suede. Ultra suede is a great fabric to use to get a modern look in a nursery and somehow stains miraculously wipe right off.
4. A custom design your own Jonathan Adler pillow to personalize the nursery a little more. If you don’t know the gender of your child yet just get an initial of your last name.
9. The Ikea Expedit Bookcase: I’m sure almost every modern home as one of these in their children’s room, playroom or office. The price can’t be beat and you can customize it with River Ridge bins from Target.
10. ABC Wall Graphics by Blik: Blik sets the standard on high quality affordable wall graphics. I love the punches of colors in this set and it goes perfectly with the bedding. Like I mentioned before, I’d get three sets of these to wrap around the room.
13. Double Hanging Pendant Lamp found exclusively at 2Modern. A slight pop of color to draw your eye up to the ceiling. Hmm maybe we should paint the ceiling a light turquoise like Benjamin Moore’s Blue Bonnet for even more interest above?