- A Project For: Walter Everett
- Age: 3 weeks
- Location: Spring, Texas
Tropical Ocean Nursery Design
We love to snorkel, so I thought a beachy room with a tropical feel would be a space where everyone could enjoy spending time. I knew I wanted to create a tropical oasis for little Walt's nursery, but it wasn't until I stumbled across Project Nursery that I went design crazy! I have been inspired daily by all the amazing readers' projects on PN!
As an artist, I can't resist lots of color, texture and contrast! I enjoy planning a project over time, so it can evolve!
- The crib was passed down from my sister. It was pink, and we painted it "Blue Bauble" (same on walls) by Sherwin Williams.
- The bedding was all custom made by the amazing Ronda Houle, find her on etsy store name: http://www.etsy.com/people/gmaronda
- Fish throw pillow also came from a very talented etsy shop owner: http://www.etsy.com/people/maxinefashion
- Changing table dresser is an antique I found at the Salvation Army thrift store for $99.
- The azure minky changing pad cover and matching boppy cover are by: http://www.etsy.com/people/LittleOwlsNest
- The small antique chair came from my great grandma, and I asked Ronda to sew the little cushion.
- The two-tiered vintage round side table is a craigslist find for $35, and the upholstered rocking chair is also a lovely CL piece. Here is a link to my before & after: http://nurserydesigns.blogspot.com/2011/08/slipcover-bad-reupholster-good.html
- The round throw pillow in the re-upholstered chair is from etsy: http://www.etsy.com/people/TheSewingAttic, she is in New Zealand and she sent Walt a matching bib with the throw pillow when she found out I was putting the pillow in my nursery! How sweet is that?
- The lamp is from lampsplus.com, rug is from overstock.com, Moroccan pouf is from Tazi Designs.
- My Dutailer glider was my gift from my mother back in 1999 when I had my first son, Brad. I love that chair! I dressed it up with two vintage throw pillows: the gold one is from my grandmother's house when she redecorated I got the old stuff :o) The teal one is from etsy: http://www.etsy.com/people/TipsyTimeMachine
- The little aqua and orange stool and the cute critter throw pillow are from Digaliggins on etsy: http://www.etsy.com/people/digaliggins
- Adorable handmade chenille burp cloths are by: http://www.etsy.com/people/KBExquisites
- Organic nursing /teething necklace is from: http://www.etsy.com/people/KangarooCare
- Shower "Thank You" cards from: http://www.etsy.com/shop/KnockOutPunches
- Shower Hostess' Gifts from: http://www.etsy.com/shop/dreamtimeharvest and http://www.etsy.com/shop/OneClayBead
- Minky & Cloth Diaper burp cloths: http://www.etsy.com/shop/ADDOXMOM
- I made the felt mobile, and Brad and I painted the paper mache name letters.
- I also made the curtain panels and valance with no-sew adhesive. I was asked to blog about it right here on PN! http://projectnursery.com/2011/07/diy-no-sew-curtains/
- The photos of Walter were taken by the photographer at The Woman's Hospital of Texas.
- Mural by Moi! http://www.wendyswalls.com
My 11 year old son, Bradley, and I painted Walter's name letters together and had so much fun! I love looking at Walter's name above the French doors because it reminds me of our special project time together. The rag quilt was a surprise from my custom quilter, Ronda Houle. She used my leftover fabrics to make one of my favorite things ever! I know Walt is going to love it :o)
Take your time and plan one small project at a time. I used the internet to do most of my research. I love great deals, so I like checking CL and thrift stores when I am looking for something unique. Design something you love with your child in mind and you can't make a mistake!
Posted on September 26, 2011
Project By: wenbow
Hello! My name is Wendy Bowman, and I am a wife, mother and freelance artist. As a professional children's muralist from Houston, Texas I have seen a lot of awesome nurseries over the past 15 years. I have to say that the rooms I see here on Project Nursery are truly amazing! My story: After 6 years of trying to conceive every which way imaginable, we are finally expecting boy #2 thanks to IVF (expected due date 8/31/11). His nursery has been in the making in my mind all this time! We have actually built a room addition from the ground up! It is an extension of our master bedroom which needed more space anyway. I am so glad I discovered Project Nursery, and I have been telling all my clients and friends about it since I found it. The array of unique room designs from project nursery users is very rich and eclectic, so I LOVE love LOVE this site. I have gotten so many ideas from everyone who graciously posts their reveals here. I will be blogging to track the progress of my nursery until it is ready to reveal here on PN. Check out my blog: nurserydesigns.blogspot.com Website: wendyswalls.com Etsy: sweetdreamswallart› More projects by wenbow
Rate This Project:
Avatars by Sterling Adventures