A Project For
The sailing/nautical theme came together after buying the first item (the poop deck plaque). There was no overall vision for this room, we just started and kept rolling with it. I googled "nautical nursery" and really liked the thick bold stripes I saw in other rooms. It took us forever to decide on how many stripes, how thick, how far apart etc..but once we started the first wall looked great. The second wall was another story. We realized the entire ceiling was not level and one side was about and inch and a half taller than the other, making the stripes look crooked. Another hour of thinking, measuring and re-taping and we figured it out. We used frog tape but when we pulled it off our worst nightmare was realized...it bled through every where. Nothing 6 hours worth of touching up with a tiny brush couldn't fix :(
In the end my husband and I are very happy with the way the room turned out...but we will NEVER paint stripes again!
My husband grew up sailing. He was part of the local Yacht club and competed/raced for many years. Although he is not part of the yacht club anymore and has not competed for many years he still has a passion and talent for sailing that I would love for him to pass down to our son. Now we just have to buy a boat :)
I like simple and clean. I have never been very good at pulling together an entire room design but I am proud of the end result of this nursery. I also like DIY projects that add that personal touch.
My favorite thing ended up being the stripes on the wall. I feel they really pulled the whole look together.
If you have textured walls, frog tape will not work as easy!! Save yourself hours of time and frustration and google how to paint on textured walls.