- A Project For: Quinlan
- Age: 13 months
- Location: Newton, MA
This is the Yellow Submarine nursery I designed for my son before he was born.
I was inspired to create this nursery by the colorful music and art associated with and created by the Beatles during their later years. It seemed that every idea I had related back to a song by the band - Octopus's Garden, Rocky Raccoon, etc. - but ultimately, the vibrant, saturated colors and animated art of Yellow Submarine won us over. We wanted to create a fun, stimulating and colorful room, with the "sea of green" as the statement wall color (Benjamin Moore's Sweet Pea).
My decorating style for children's rooms and nurseries could be described as "cheerful eclectic."
• Paint - Benjamin Moore's Sweet Pea, eggshell finish (Aura)
• Vinyl wall decals - Etsy, Fisher-Price
• Rug - Crate & Barrel
• Bookshelf - Pottery Barn Kids
• Glider - Dutailier
• Crib, Baby Changing Station, 5-Drawer Dresser - Romina Karisma
• Bedding - Carousel Designs (custom design)
• Yellow Submarine licensed figurines, lunch box, picture frame, clock - Vandor
• Yellow Submarine framed print - art.com
• Shelves - Boon
• Porthole mirrors - NauticalTropical.com
• Accent lamp - Kids Line
• Accent pillow - custom, sewn by Quinlan's Grammy
• Baby blanket - custom, hand knit by Quinlan's Mommy
• Mobile - Fisher-Price
It's so hard to pick just one thing! But I'd say the room just wouldn't be the same without the porthole mirrors.
Don't be afraid to use bold color in a baby's room! Just ensure there is a balance of hues that have qualities in common (e.g. saturation level, undertone, etc.) to create a harmonious design. Think about incorporating vignettes and individual items that will entertain and stimulate your child's imagination, and make the room a special and fun place for them to be.
Posted on September 10, 2012
Project By: Kelly Rogers Interiors
Owner, Kelly Rogers Interiors, blogging at interiorsforfamilies.com.› More projects by Kelly Rogers Interiors
Rate This Project:
Avatars by Sterling Adventures