- A Project For: Oliver
- Age: Newborn
- Location: Olathe, KS
- Description: We put more time and thought into this nursery than I thought possible! After a two and a half year journey ending in fertility treatments, I think I was so overjoyed to finally be pregnant that I felt like every detail had to be perfect! And it is!! :) With the artistic talents of my husband's mom and grandma, we were even lucky enough to get a custom mural and some excellent design advice on the way, too!
- Design Inspiration: Our ideas for the nursery came from all over... Pinterest, Project Nursery, Etsy. Not to mention facebook stalking everyone I knew who had designed a nursery in the last 5 years. :)
- Decorating Style: We like modern, but not harsh... which lead to the sleek furniture and painted stripe. Simple, but not boring... which lead to the patterned bedding. I wanted a calm, serene nursery... which lead to the muted color palate. My hubby wanted bright colors & whimsy... which lead to the pops of orange.
- Name Plaque Project: We created it ourselves, but got the idea from this Etsy seller: http://www.etsy.com/listing/87215668/wood-letters-name-blocks-for-baby-child?utm_campaign=Share&utm_medium=PageTools&utm_source=Pinterest
- Canvas Light Project: http://www.thirtiethavenue.com/2011/08/light-it-up-pinterest-style.html
- Crib: Westwood Design, Brookline
- Bedding: Lambs & Ivy, Park Avenue Baby
- Paint Colors: Sherwin Williams Glimmer, Halcyon Green, Bittersweet Stem, & French Roast. Anita's Craft Paint, Orange (Hobby Lobby).
- Lamp: http://www.lot10paper.com/
- Night Light: http://www.booninc.com/products/Glo
- Wall Decal: Custom Designed at http://www.wallquotes.com/
- Valance: Instead of buying the matching valance, we used the front bumper to create ours. Just use the crib ties to attach to a curtain rod, and voila!
- Favorite Items: I'm not sure I can choose... the most meaningful items are the plaques that I made, the canvas light that my husband made, and the wall mural that my mother-in-law and grandmother-in-law painted. :)
- Advice: If you're looking for a way to make your nursery unique and special, pick one Pinterest project to create and have hubby create one, too. I can't wait to show Oliver the custom-made projects we did just for him and tell him the stories of our DIY journeys. :) Don't forget to find compromises, too. I wanted an all serene nursery, and my husband wanted all bright and whimsy. Combining the subtle colors with one bright accent of orange was the perfect compromise and resulted in something much better than we would have come up with separately! Also, think outside the box! We put our changing table in the closet and turned it into an open closet to give us more space in the room itself. It made storage a bit more challenging, but with enough fabric boxes and storage containers, it's possible!
Posted on December 9, 2012 4,026 views
Avatars by Sterling Adventures