This is a multi-functional space at grandparents' home.
When Son, Daughter-in-Law, and D needed a place to live for 6 months after moving back to Texas from Brazil, I converted a spare bedroom into a space I call GiGi's Retreat. It's a fully functional nursery. Yet when D and his parents move to their own home, it will easily convert to a sewing/crafting room where D can nap or sleep over.
I was able to go to Brazil for my grandson's birth. One of my favorite memories--other than the birth of this wonderful first grandchild!--was the afternoon I got to feed monkeys right in the back yard of the family home.
When I was looking for inspiration to use in GiGi's Retreat, I found this woven fabric that had toucans and monkeys in stylized trees. Even if I weren't decorating a nursery, I would still use this fabric! It looks like a modern Jacobean tapestry in a nice mellow color palette, so it's not really 'baby,' but it's fun and captivating. It brings back great memories of my 2012 trip to Brazil where our grandson was born.
Unfussy and practical, eclectic with a little humor.
I want my home to be warm, inviting, and very livable.
- Crib--Childcraft London Euro from Babies"R"Us
- Change Pad--Fold 'n Go Diaper Changer from Munchkin folds compactly for storage
- Dragonfly Lamp--Pier One had this tea light holder on clearance. With the addition of a 6 foot white Electric Clip-In Cord Set with On/Off Switch it's a really cute source of low light.
- Wall Shelf--Mini Off-Set Organizer from ClosetMaid
- Monkey/Toucan Fabric--Monking around Teak Upholstery Fabric by Swavelle Mill Creek at Fashion Fabrics Club Online
- Clip Frames--Hobby Lobby
- Brazilian Hammock--purchased in Brazil, but check Brazilian Hammocks at seaside hammocks
- Adjustable Closet Shelving Kit--Rubbermaid at Lowe's
My favorite item is the Monkey/Toucan fabric panel on the focal wall. It's about 4 1/2 feet square, and makes a big impact for less than $50. It's not a typical baby/nursery print or color palette, but GiGi's Retreat is not just a nursery; the room converts to my sewing/craft space as well.
Feathering a little nest for your grandchildren in your home doesn't mean you can't use the room for other activities when the little ones aren't there. In GiGi's Retreat, everything serves at least two functions. Some days the change pad is folded up and stored away, and out comes the sewing machine. Pull up the 'tree stump' storage cube/stool and craft away at the table.