We decided to transition our son from his crib to a full-size bed when he was 20 months old since he is an active sleeper and needed the additional space to be comfortable. This necessitated a move to a larger room, so we converted our guest bedroom into his big boy room.
Garrett loves all things motorized, so I wanted to do a planes, trains and automobiles theme for his new room. Since we had extra paint left over from when we moved into the house, we decided to keep the existing wall color and just do some touch-ups, so the green became my starting point for the room design. Then I found the green airplane sheets, which served as my design inspiration, and the planes dominated from there. I didn’t want to exclude the trains and automobiles though, so I found a perfect rug that ties everything together and added in a few other vehicles here and there for variety.
I don't really know how to describe my decorating style. I don’t care for the matchy-matchy look. I love to find individual pieces from different sources that work together.
- Wall color is Tree Moss by Benjamin Moore
- Furniture is Mother Hubbard’s Cupboard Enchantment Collection (convertible crib)
- Sheet set is from Company Kids; reversible comforter from Kohl’s
- Rug is “Concrete” from Momeni’s Lil Mo Whimsy line
- Airplane mobile is from Restoration Hardware Baby & Child
- Alphabet mirror is from Pottery Barn Kids
- Lamp is also from Pottery Barn Kids and was used in Garrett’s nursery
- Airplane art prints are by Erica Vess and were purchased from Art.com. I originally stumbled across this artist when I was designing Garrett’s nursery and purchased two of her prints to hang above his crib. When I was looking for wall art for his big boy room, I decided to check out her other work and was thrilled to see that she had featured the same characters from the nursery prints in a variety of other settings, including airplanes.
- Although the mama and baby giraffe print doesn’t really coordinate with the room theme, it used to hang in Garrett’s nursery and has a great deal of sentimental value for me, so it’s a keeper.
- Airplane photo frame, car photo frame, and metal vehicles are from Hobby Lobby
- Airplane wall decal is from Etsy seller defineyourspacevinyl
- I Love You photo frame is from Target
- Always Kiss Me Goodnight sign is from Home Goods
- Initial letters were DIY and were originally created for Garrett's nursery. They worked with the new room colors, so I kept them.
The rug is my favorite item because it ties the whole room together, both in terms of theme and color. It's Garrett's favorite too. He often asks to "do night-night on new rug" instead of his bed! I also love the airplane mobile.