- A Project For: Judah Elyse
- Age: EDD 5-15-2013
- Location: Nashville, Tennessee
This project was mostly DIY/handmade/repurposed. I made all of the bedding, the curtains, the changing table cover, the artwork, and recovered the glider and ottoman. My husband stripped, repainted and changed the hardware to the 2 secondhand dressers I found. It was a lot of work, but we love the results.
I started with the color scheme that I loved. I got lots of inspiration from Pinterest and Etsy and the tons of tutorials online. There's no theme to the room.
DIY and handmade. I'm not a pro seamstress by any stretch of the imagination, but I like things that are simple and easy to replicate.
My inspiration sites:
For the ruffled bedskirt ($100 for the bedskirt, bumperless sheet, and blanket):
The bumperless crib sheet I modified a tutorial that I found by adding piping and the different fabric:
The blanket was made using scraps that I had left over.
The dressers that we refinished were craiglist finds ($150 for both), but we followed this tutorial:
Supplies were about $50
The acrylic drawer pulls we got from: http://www.myhomehardware.com/servlet/StoreFront ($2.68 each)
The changing pad cover (got the minky fabric from Joann's with my 40% off coupon. Used a yard and a 1/2. Cost @ $10-$12 to make) Used this tutorial (with my own variations)
The 24X36 artwork was made using canvas board rather than stretched canvas (A LOT less expensive). I got the large boards for @ $8.00 each from http://www.enasco.com/product/9726847. The letters were custom die cut card stock from http://www.yourmemorieshere.com/. It was less than $40 for the letters and shippinng. I painted the boards and used Mod Podge to secure and finished with a coat of Modge Podge (@ $5 for those supplies).
I made the curtains using fabric from Joann's and my 50% off coupon. The fabric is called Country Classics Cotton in Carnation. Both panels cost @ $50. The inspiration for these were: http://lovely-decor.com/curtain/pink-ruffle-curtain-panel-866.html
The Dutailer glider and ottoman was bought from craigslist for $150 three years ago when we used it for our son's nursery. I recovered it using clearance fabric I got from Joann's, and used this tutorial: http://www.kenjiandjen.com/p/tutorial-recovering-glider-chair.html. The recover cost @ $50
The butterfly artwork came from: http://www.bugs-n-blooms.com/ @ $30
The crib came from Kmart. It was $200
The paint came from Lowe's. It's Valspar Beach Sparkle
Hard to say. Tie between the bedding and the glider and ottoman. They took the most work, and blew my non-seamstress mind when they were finished.
Keep it simple. If you want to DIY, do what you can, buy what you can't. Don't be ashamed or afraid to copy something completely if you really, really like it.
Posted on April 7, 2013
Project By: mom2shiloh
I love watching my son's face light up when he experiences something I've created for him. I'm no designer, but I do my best to make him happy...
Rate This Project:
Avatars by Sterling Adventures