Relaxing Nursery Retreat
I did not want the room to be too baby so I went with a consistant color palette or grey/aqua which reminds me of the ocean (my favorite place) with accents of orange, and pink.
I love straight modern lines for furniture and main features. I think it gives you a clean simple foundation to any room. I also have a fondness for eclectic layering of old and new. I like things to be beautiful but function always comes first.
- Room Color: Silvermist (sherwin williams)
- Striped feature wall was handpainted with clear polyurethane.
- Monkey art (placemats from colorfulrooms.com). I could not afford the huge wall canvas' so I bought the placemat group of 4 and bought the frames at Michaels. It turned out awesome!
- Crib (converts to a full size bed) babies R us
- Dressers: Malm collection from Ikea
- Window seat: Ikea Expedit bookcase. Turn it on it's side. Created a custom bench cover. 2 black storage cubes from Wal-mart. Curtains from Ikea with custom fabric sewn at the bottom
- White floating shelves (refurbished from another part of our house. I painted them white.
- Crib Bedding: Custom bedding sew by my grandma. All the fabric was bought at hobby lobby. The only thing store bought was the white mesh breathable bumper.
- Modern rocking chair/slipcover: bought from wal-mart.com
- Bookshelf: I built that from scratch to use a wasted nook/corner in our room.
- Closet: Organization is the keyl. tall dresser from ikea (malm). hanging extension rod to create double row. Clear shoe hanging organization to store socks, hairbows, baby shoes, etc. Pink storage tub at the bottom is for clothes once she outgrows them. No need to hang them back up...just wash and put in storage tub.
- Baby rocking chair: family antique recovered to match room.
I love the window seat. It turned out better than I could have imagined. I also just love the feel of the room. When you walk in you just feel like you can relax.
Be creative with what you already have in your house. Window shop until you find exactly what you are looking for and don't be afraid to buy inexpensive pieces and make them look luxurious!