A Project For
Ariella's nursery is a soothing oasis of coral pink, pale aqua, and bright white, & combines many hand crafted items from artists across the country. The main focal wall stencil behind the crib is a uniquely Moroccan pattern, but when combined with other traditional and vintage shapes, it takes on a whole new style of its own. Custom painted vintage frames hung above the changing table create a second focal point of their own without competing with the main feature wall, and simple details pull the room together for a cohesive look.
For our second daughter's nursery, I knew I wanted something different from our first daughter's room, which was lavender and white. I went back and forth on color combinations and finally settled on coral and pale aqua after much debate. I had been eyeing wall stencils on Etsy for some time, and decided a feature wall painted with a stencil would be my main design element/pattern for the room. I then found the three mirrors which hang above the crib at Target, and was excited that they also mimicked the Moroccan wall stencil pattern as well! I wanted a clean, fresh, and bright look to the room without a lot of fuss and clutter. I also wanted a room that would grow with her as she gets older!
My decorating style is traditional with a modern twist but also a vintage flair. I always have a hard time describing my own decorating style - it's just me!
Ariella's nursery was about 6 months in the making: researching, bargain hunting, fabric finding, and vendor searching on Etsy, Pinterest, and beyond. Her nursery is an eclectic mix of new, vintage, and refurbished items. Below is a list of the main design elements/details of the room and vendors:
- Custom Bird Mobile: Annie's Mobile Boutique, Etsy
- Fabric Bloom Balls: Bella B Tots, Etsy
- Crib: White Lifetime Crib, Baby Cache, Babies R Us
- Crib Bedding: Serena & Lily Punch Basics & Aqua Mosaic crib sheet
- Decorative Wall Frames: TRW Painted, Etsy, and collected from various home decor stores like TJ Maxx, HomeGoods, Marshalls, etc.(custom painted to match)
- Wall Mirrors: Target (custom painted to match)
- Upholstered Double Glider: Sarah Double Glider by Four Seasons
- Wall Stencil: Large Rabat Design, Cutting Edge Stencils, Etsy
- Diaper Changing station/dresser: purchased from Craigslist and custom painted to match; hardware knobs from Anthropologie
- Nightstand/End Table: purchased from Homegoods and custom painted to match
- Initial Letters: purchased from TJ Maxx, custom painted to match
- Coffee table: Furniture Creations, Amazon
- Wall hooks: Anthropologie
- Bookcase: White Cottage Bookcase, Target
- Carpet: Masland, color Sistine
- Paints: Sherwin Willams
SW6597 Hopeful (darker coral)
SW6595 Amour Pink (light coral)
SW6220 Interesting Aqua (aqua)
Favorite item #1: The wall stencil on the focal wall behind the crib - it's the main design element of the room and your eye goes right to it when you enter. It really pulls the room together and is a unique statement piece you won't find in every nursery. We had to paint the wall the darker of the two coral colors, and then stencil the lighter color on top so that the wall would read lighter rather than darker. I'm beyond happy with the end result, even though it was a lot of work!
Favorite item #2: Wall Frame Collage above changing table. I envisioned this wall frame collage in my head, but it turned out even better than I had imagined! I slowly collected frames of different shapes, sizes, and materials until I had a combination I liked. Then I traced each frame on parchment paper and hung the pieces of parchment up on the wall with painters tape to see what the layout would look like when complete. It was an easy thing to do because you can just rearrange the pieces of parchment without ruining your walls with lots of nail holes!
If you see something you like for your nursery while out shopping - just buy it! You may not find something you like better, and nothing is worse than buyer's (or non-buyers) remorse!