A Project For
I had many different ideas and possible themes for our baby's nursery (just check out my Pinterest Boards and you will see for yourself!) I DID know that I wanted to use peach and coral colours for a girl's room though, so once we found out we were having a baby girl that is where we started. From there I got a few inspirational pieces (such as the image of the little girl eating the peach and the pair of little ceramic baby shoes) and I collected items that we already had from my childhood and from around our house (such as the quilt, the cradle, the ballerina music box, my knit and stuffed animals friends etc.) and her room started taking shape. Once I started my various handmade and DIY projects her peaches and creme, feminine antique nursery with birdy accents really started coming to life. Most of the projects in this nursery are handmade DIY projects and lots of the furniture we got for free, or on Kijiji, and re-vamped them to freshen them up and make them fit with the nursery. This was definitely a nursery on a budget, the retail value of the larger items in the room would have come to around $1600 but we only spent $200 on all of those items!! So hopefully this nursery is inspiring and an example that you can create a really cute nursery on a budget!
We started with the idea of a peach orchard and that gave us the inspiration for our wall/ceiling colours (which are 'Peachtree' and 'Sweet Apricot' by Behr). Aderyn's name means 'Bird' so we knew for sure we wanted to add birds throughout the room as well. I am an antique and shabby chic lover as well so we added antique elements (like the cradle and the quilt) and gave things a shabby chic, homemade flare.
I guess I would describe my decorating style as "homey and warm" which translates into lots of homemade DIY projects, rustic & antique re-purposed elements and a cozy, inviting feeling. I don't worry too much about any certain style or genre when I am decorating, I simply pick things that I like and it always seems to work out in the end and turns into a cohesive room full of things I love.
- Crib - 'Little Folks' Crib, got it off Kijiji for $100.00
- Canopy - Handmade and hung on a curtain rod from IKEA
- Bird Mobile - DIY project my husband and I made together
- Bird / Branch Wall Decal - CocoDecal on Etsy
- Curtains, Lamp and Bushel Basket - IKEA
- Shelves - Ikea Spice racks, painted white
- All Fabric - Fabricland
- Window Valance - DIY project made from fabric strips
- Paint Colours - Walls: Sweet Apricot (Behr) Ceiling: Peachtree (Behr)
- Dresser - Free from our neighbours, we painted it white
- Glider - $40.00 on Kijiji!
- Side Table - FREE came with our house and we simply painted it white
- Crib Skirt - DIY project made from two layers of Eyelet fabric
- Initial Nail & Yarn Art - DIY Project made by my husband and I
- Bird & Flowers Wall & Window 'Screen' - Dollarama
- Stuffed Kitty - Critters By Kathy on ETSY
- Ottoman - Free from our neighbours, I made a slip cover for it.
- Corner Mobile - DIY Project made out of scrap fabric and an embroidery hoop
- Rag Wreath - DIY Project made out of scrap fabric tied to an embroidery hoop
- Ultrasound & Name Framed Art - DIY Project
- Story Book Quilt - DIY Project, fabric from Len's Mills
- Antique Cradles - One made by my great grandpa, and one a gift from a friend
I have SO many favorites in this nursery. But I am particularly proud of the Crib Canopy as I had no idea what I was doing really when I started making it, but I just kept fiddling with it until it worked, and I love how it turned out. I also love the projects that my husband and I worked on together such as the 'A' initial nail art, the bird mobile and the wall decal. It was great creating special memories together as we worked on the nursery. I must say that I LOVE the antique cradle under the window too, which was a gift from a friend. I just love how all of Aderyn's stuffed friends are sitting in it and waiting for her arrival!
- My advice is to FIND BARGINS!! Whether you have friends getting rid of old baby items they don't need anymore, or neighbours with 'FREE' furniture on their front lawn or maybe you simply search on Kijiji before buying new. This nursery is proof that previously owned/used items can be freshened up to be made to look like NEW!
- Also I would encourage everyone to create a few DIY projects for your nursery. They give the room so much more character and LOVE and if you make them with your hubby or a friend or family member they have that much more meaning!
- Finally, I encourage you to not get caught up too much in a 'theme' but simply choose things you LOVE and the room will come together and be so much more personal and homey in the end.