- A Project For: Abby
- Age: 4 Months
- Location: Queens, NY
We didn't find out what we were having beforehand, so we needed a gender neutral theme. But I also knew that even if we knew whether we were having a boy or girl, we weren't the type of people to have a very gender-specific nursery with lots of pinks or blues. We are both native New Yorkers, so we went with an urban city baby theme. I got most of my ideas for various projects from this site, blogs and etsy and just went for it.
I wanted to do gray and yellow from the very start. I love the color combination and knew it would work for a boy or girl. Then I fell in love with the hop scotch rug and saw a photo of a mural of buildings for a transportation-themed nursery. After that it all came together.
I would say my style is contemporary, but with very earthy/neutral touches.
- Framed ABBY Letters - photos taken around the city
- Book Sling - Amy Butler fabric, dowels, double curtain rod and iron adhesive
- Mural - I first sketched out the building on graph paper, then outlined it to scale with pencil on the wall, using a large level and tape measure. I then used blue painters tape and a darker shade of gray than whats on all four walls
- Crib Skirt and Bulletin Board - done by family members who know how to sew, also Amy Butler fabric
- Mobile - I bought a big book of scrapbook paper and one of those big hole punchers to make all of the little circles. Poked two holes and used little jewelry rings to attach them to each other. Attached them to two knitting circles with fishing wire.
- Hopscotch Rug: CB2
- Poof (ottoman):Crate & Barrel
- Buildings Lampshade: PBKids
- Abby Letters above crib: Anthropologie
- Hanging Storage: IKEA
- Mini Hat Rack and all storage bins: Land of Nod
My favorite item purchased is definitely the rug. My favorite DIY projects are a tie between the mural and the ABBY letters.
Go on craft sites like etsy and then just try to do it yourself. You'll find you can do a lot for a lot less.
Posted on August 30, 2011
Project By: KateandDrew
New Momma who discovered she loves designing through the planning of her wedding, friends and her own baby and wedding showers, and designing her Queens apartment and now new baby nursery.› More projects by KateandDrew
Rate This Project:
Avatars by Sterling Adventures