And poof, suddenly it’s 2016. What’s our first order of biz, you ask? Announcing our predictions for the top 12 nursery trends to watch in the coming year, of course! Last year’s top nurseries brought some seriously savvy style, and we have no doubt this year is going to be another year filled with gorgeous, well-designed nurseries. Here it goes, drumroll please. The top 12 nursery trends to watch are…
1. Back to Basics with Pastels. Soft colors and baby’s nursery go together like peas and carrots, so it’s no surprise that pastels are back and better than ever! On the heels of Pantone’s announcement last month of not one but two pastels, Rose Quartz and Serenity, we’ve got two pastels that confirm this trend.
2. Rose Gold. Gold trended strong last year, and this go around, its bestie, with that perfect hint of pink, takes over. Totally chic and glam, this luxe material is popping up in baby gear all over. We’re hoping parents embrace this trend in 2016.
3. Southwest Charm. An earthy trend breaks out this year big time, and this time it takes its cues from the Southwest. Think dreamcatchers, feather mobiles and natural accents that create a warm vibe with a hint of rugged appeal.
4. Everything Modern. Modern is back and more stylish than ever! From mid-century sleek to bright white and clean, modern designed nurseries will wow us all year long.
5. Up in the Air. Our heads are in the clouds in 2016! With arrows and triangles so last year, we are excited to see more nursery design inspired by our friendly skies. These fluffy and light puffs in the sky have already begun to pop up on baby layette, blankets, pillows and gear.
6. Natural Wood Accents. Rustic pallet walls were huge in 2015. This year wood hangs around but keeps a lower profile. Wood is showing up in subtle ways like art, wall letters, shelving and accent pieces.
7. Statement Cribs. A star is born. In 2016, cribs will reclaim their title and take center stage as the statement piece of the nursery. This time they have unexpected shapes, interesting colors and sophisticated materials. Baby’s crib got a whole lot cooler, and we like it.
Vetro Crib in Little Crown Interior’s Nursery Design
8. It’s All about That Color! Nurseries, toddler rooms and playrooms are alive and in technicolor this year. In the past, color palettes, even bright hues, have been limited to a more monochromatic scheme, but this year it’s all rainbow. Bold and bright colors and lots of them are paired together in a fun and cheerful way to add drama.
9. Inspired By… (nurseries inspired by travel & adventure). Parents love a cool theme to set the design tone in nursery. This year, travel and adventure stand out as the nursery theme of the year. Art declaring encouraging words such as “You are our Greatest Adventure” and “Never Stop Exploring” or “Always Take the Scenic Route” sing from the walls. We are keeping our eye out for this theme to inspire nurseries globally.
10. Lighting that Shines. Eye-catching pendants and chandeliers are spicing things up. Brass geo pendants, irregular blown glass and organic shapes, these interesting design elements are like the sparkling jewelry in the nursery.
11. Granny Chic. Break out those hand knitted afghans, folks, their moment has arrived again! Get ready to embrace the family hand-me-down look with all the things you might find in your grandma’s house. Antiques and vintage lace, quilts and quaint knick-knacks wanted.
image from Tiny Little Pads
12. Cosmic. An updated spin on the classic navy blue nursery, cosmic is both dreamy and sophisticated. We are seeing deep navy paired with gold, gray and black. Throw in some brass accents, and you’ve got a nursery that is out of this world!
Phew, now that’s a lot of chic and cool trends to inspire. We can’t wait to see all the gorgeous nurseries uploaded to the project gallery this year. Follow along on Instagram, and submit your nursery for a chance to be featured!
Check out last year’s 2015 Nursery Trends!