I just got home from a whirlwind trip to Omaha, Nebraska, with my family for a wedding. It was the first trip that we’ve taken as a family of four, and I feel like I won the lottery because both of my little ones were traveling pros. Crying on the plane was minimal, layovers were full of smiles and giggles, and although we were all exhausted when we pulled into our driveway after five days away from home, I can actually say that I’m looking forward to our next adventure. Here are a few of our travel essentials for baby and toddler that made our trip just a little bit easier.
- Quinny Yezz. A lightweight stroller is a must-have for easy transportation in the airport.
- Padded Umbrella Stroller Travel Bag. You never know what might happen when you gate check your stroller, and using this padded travel bag gave me a little peace of mind that it would be in one piece when we arrived at our destination.
- Petunia Pickle Bottom Boxy Backpack. With all the gear you need while traveling, a roomy diaper bag is essential. This one features lots of pockets to help you organize everything from wipes to hand sanitizer, and the integrated changing pad is, well, life-changing.
- Planet Wise Wet/Dry Bag. Spills and accidents happen, and a wet/dry bag allows you to separate the dirty clothes from the clean ones. There’s nothing more awful than traveling in clothes that smell like apple juice—or something worse.
- Infinity Nursing Scarf. Make nursing on-the-go easier with an infinity nursing scarf. Plus, you can use it to keep warm in case the temperature on the plane goes from comfortable to frigid.
- Solly Baby Wrap. A wrap allows you to keep baby close in a new and possibly frightening environment, and it also frees up your hands for your carry-on luggage and older children that need you too.
- Pacifiers. If your baby will take a pacifier, make sure you have one or two (or five) on hand for take-off and landing to help him adjust to the change in pressure.
- Zoli Baby On-the-Go Snack Dispenser. Snacks are a must, and this dispenser features four cups so you can pack a variety to keep little ones happier for longer.
- Zoli Matties Silicone Placemats. Eating in the airport is a necessary evil, and silicone placemats help to keep the dirt and germs away.
- Apple iPad Mini. When all else fails, there’s always the iPad! Download new games and movies to entertain older kids throughout your flight.
- Kidz Gear Wired Headphones. Your daughter might love listening to the Frozen soundtrack on repeat, but chances are that other travelers won’t. These headphones are comfortable for little ears and feature a volume limit cable for safety.
- YumEarth Organic Vitamin C Lollipops. Lollipops are the perfect tasty treat, and they help older children adjust to the change in pressure during take-off and landing. Bonus points for lollipops that include vitamins because if your family is like mine, vacation diets are less than ideal.
- Thermos. Even though you can’t bring liquids through security, bringing your own beverage container will save you a lot of money on bottled water. And a cute character-themed thermos is sure to delight your little one.
Seasoned travelers, what are your must-haves for flying with little ones?