As a designer, I get asked a lot of different questions, but there are certain questions that seem to come up over and over again. A couple design dilemmas that I hear often are, “Can I put a rug in a room that has carpet?” or “Why do I need a rug in a kid’s room?” I think area rugs are fabulous, and I am a firm believer that when in doubt, go for it!
A rug in a nursery or kid’s room serves many purposes, and here are my top five reasons to add one into your design budget.
1. An area rug helps to define specific boundaries or an area of a room, especially if there is hardwood or tile floors. This way the furniture doesn’t appear to be floating in the space. The rug helps to “tie” the room together. No worries if the room has carpet; you can still add a rug.
2. In a nursery, a rug can provide great tactile sensory stimulation. For my nursery, I added in a super soft, plush shag rug from Target for $69.99. Did I mention it’s washable? Adding rugs to all of my kids’ bedrooms has totally spared me the expense of replacing carpet.
3. A rug can add color to your room, like this floral rug from PBTeen. This is a great way to add that pop of color into your space or bring your entire color scheme together.
4. Need to bring in some pattern? Try this Lattice Rug also from PBTeen. Using a rug with pattern creates visual interest.
5. This hopscotch rug from CB2 scores bonus points for keeping the kids occupied and entertained. Not only is it super stylish, but it will have them “hopping” for joy!
If you are in search of a rug of your own, don’t forget to enter the Project Nursery FLOR Rug Giveaway!