The Ultimate Children's Design Resource

DIY: No-Sew Curtains

After PN reader Wendy Bowman’s nursery-in-progress caught our eye, we asked her to guest blog this awesome tutorial for us. Turns out Wendy is a professional muralist and etsy shop owner. Thanks for sharing Wendy!

Windows are a natural place to add style and color when you’re decorating a room. Lucky for us, adding beautiful curtains to your child’s room doesn’t need to cost any more than the price of 5-6 yards of fabric and some iron-on adhesive. Not to mention, you don’t have to know a single thing about sewing! You’ll also need an iron, tape measure, scissors and a large flat workspace. I used HeatnBond Ultra Hold, which recommends pre-washing your fabric without using fabric softener. I was afraid of fraying, so I did not wash my 100% cotton fabric, but it still bonded easily.

Begin by measuring your fabric panels for the desired length based on your window dimensions. Add two extra inches for the top and bottom hems, and cut each panel to the correct length. Next, working on the wrong side or back side of your fabric, place the HeatnBond tape with the paper side up onto the bottom edge of your fabric panel.

Carefully iron over the adhesive strip, making sure to hold the iron for about 2-3 seconds on each section of the paper backing.

Let cool; then peel off the paper.

Now, fold over about 3/4″ of the edge of the fabric, and iron to create a crease, holding the iron for 8-10 seconds on each section of the hem. Gently check to make sure the fabric has adhered.

Repeat all steps until you have folded over and bonded all four sides of your curtain panels. Clip on curtain rings to each of your panels, and then slide them onto your curtain rod. I used seven rings per panel, but it’ll depend on the width of your curtains.

Voila—a designer look for a fraction of the price, and you can say you did it yourself!

Have a DIY project of your own that you’d like to share with us?
Email editor@projectnursery.com with details and pictures.

About the author
Houston, Texas artist, Wendy Bowman has enjoyed over 12 years as a professional children's muralist specializing in custom nursery design. Wendy is mom to Bradley (11), and she is now expecting a second son at the end of August!
| Website | View all articles by
  1. SMS says:

great tutorial! I am also a non-sewer. What I also would like to know is, where did she get such great coral print fabric?? We have the girl’s version of the PBK surf bedding & it would look cute in the room.

2. Tiffany says:

This may be a stupid question but how do you make sure to cut your fabric straight, with precision? I looked online and found some advice about following the weave of the fabric but oftentimes it’s so small that I find it impossible. I just finished my first project since middle school (a changing pad cover!) and luckily it didn’t matter much that it wasn’t cut perfectly but I think it would be noticable on curtains. Suggestions?

3. Wendy Bowman says:

Hi SMS!

The fabric is by Premier Prints and it is called Coral White/True Turquoise.
    Here’s a link to copy and paste in your browser:

4. Wendy Bowman says:

Tiffany,

Hi Tiffany!

Good question. I invested in some good quality sharp fabric scissors. Line your fabric up evenly keeping it folded in half as it came from the factory. Use a tape measure to check and make sure it is the same length on each side. Make a chalk line and use this as a guide once you have the two sides measured equally. Or, try to eyeball the grain. The grain on this Premier Prints coral fabric is large because it is a medium weight canvas-like material. With other fabrics that have a tiny grain, I will rely on the print as a reference.

For examplle, I had a green vines fabric, so I needed to make sure the print did not start accidentally going at a diagonal. I folded it in half and made sure the same exact row of leaves were meeting on each side before I cut. If you do have any wobbly areas once you have already cut it across, simply trim it up to be straight before applying the heatnbond.

You should do just fine!

5. What a great idea for a DIY project! Have you used this technique before?

6. Tiffany says:

Wendy Bowman,

Thanks so much for the advice!!

7. Wendy Bowman says:

Olivia at Moen,

Yes, I made valances for my first home’s kitchen. I took them down to wash them each year, and they always survived the washing machine just fine, too! There are many types of no-sew hem adhesive on the market. Some have a paper backing as used in the tutorial, and some do not. For the type without the paper, you must iron down your 3/4 inch fold first forming the crease. Then place the tape inside the fold, and then press for 8-10 seconds per section. I grew up calling the no-sew hem tape “wunder under”. We used it for items in high school drillteam back in 1989!

8. Wendy Bowman says:

Tiffany,

You’re welcome! That is a very important step to beautiful no-sew curtains. Have fun!

9. Melisa says:

Thank you so much for sharing today Wendy! Keep us posted on the nursery and that baby boy of yours!!! xo, Melisa

10. Wendy Bowman says:

Melisa,

Sure thing, Melisa! I’m so happy to share anytime :o)
    ~ Wendy

11. SMS says:

Thank you!!

12. [...] diy – Google Blog Search « DIY Cufflinks DIY pond [...]

13. Brandi says:

I subscribe to the weekly newsletter!

14. Brandi says:

I follow on Twitter & tweeted :0)

15. Nicole-Lynn says:

Melissa – Lay out your fabric with a mat or something underneath for protection and use a rotary cutter. It cuts very clean, smooth. I had to cut burlap fabric for table runners and it worked wonderful!

Great tutorial! I need to try this! :)

16. Samantha says:

Where did you get the clip on curtain rings? I am definitely going to be trying this project!! I never did anything like this before – but I think I can handle it!!

17. Wendy Bowman says:

Samantha,

Overstock. I also saw some at Tuesday Morning. Thanks for checking out the tutorial!
    ~ Wendy

18. Kelly says:

Hi Wendy,

I am planning on trying your method to make curtains for our nursery and I have a question :) How would you suggest/ Do you think I could add fabric liner? – I was thinking I could cut a more narrow section of liner (by about around 3/4″), iron the liner onto the fabric with the adhesive and then follow your directions — What do you think?

Thanks so much!

19. Wendy Bowman says:

Hi Kelly!

I think that will work just fine. I did not prewash my fabric and the heatnbond ultra still worked just fine. My fabric is 100% cotton. If your liner is some other blend with poly, for example, you may want to prewash it. Other than that, your plan sounds like it will work wonderfully, and that is exactly how I would do it.

~Wendy

20. [...] the bank is a challenge… until I found this DIY “no-sew” curtain instruction from Project Nursery. If you don’t own a sewing machine (or don’t want to pay someone else to do it) then [...]

21. Stella Hall says:

Great look and tutorial! I’m a sewer but sometimes prefer to use heat bonding on certain hems when I don’t want stitching to show or for a quick school or kids project. Just a word of caution to anyone using it on a light-weight fabric, the ultra is very strong and really melts into the fabric and might show on the “right” side of fabric. So do a test on a snip of fabric first and use a lighter bonding product if necessary.

22. Julie says:

We just installed no sew curtains in our bedroom. I can’t believe how well they turned out and how easy the no sew technique was! We detailed our experience at our blog. This is something I’ll definitely try again.

Thanks for sharing your curtains. I love that fabric!

23. We just had a new PVC window installed in the nursery and I had been wanting to make some curtains before the baby arrived. I followed this guide and they turned out great! Thanks for the tips :)

24. [...] to add a little craftiness to the room, I decided to go ahead and make some “no sew” curtains (we are also going to get some blinds).  I was inspired by a friend who just did [...]

25. [...] easy so I thought I would give it a chance too. I sort of followed the instructions from this blog. But sort of, I mean, I read the post twice and then just went for [...]

26. Erin Spain says:

These are great! Just wanted to let you know I featured these on my blog today, in an article about the many different types and techniques of “no-sew” window treatments.

-Erin
    diyonthecheap.blogspot.com

27. [...] For example, repaint the walls yourself, rather than calling in a professional. Make your own no-sew curtains. And much [...]

28. Irina Snyder says:

those look great and would complete my beach themed nursery! where can i find those exact curtains?

29. James Bond Bond says:

This is very essential blog; it helped me a lot whatever you have provided.http://plus.google.com/112458942571457568265/posts

30. aleena rose says:

I really love all
    data that you just provide in your articles.
    bubblegum casting reviews

31. Lance M Roberts says:

I would
    be glad if all WebPages provided such type of best articles.
    click
    this over here now

32. Lance M Roberts says:

You guys
    out there are performing an enormous job.
    click
    this over here now

33. alex 125 says:

Your
    articles are extremely fit and approved and incomparable.
    click to read

34. vacumecleaner says:

I wonder
    why different professionals don’t take action your website overmuch m happy I
    got this.
    phlebotomy
    training

35. David Hussy says:

Wasp dudes! Amazing stuff continues the good work.
    replica
    watches uk

36. alex 125 says:

The
    writer understand better the mind of people what they want to learn through
    their writing therefore this article is outstanding. Thanks!!!
    aspire nautilus

37. Pocha huntas says:

I know this is quality based blogs along with other stuff.

my blog

38. Brenda Sturgill says:

I
    believe this is actually the most useful blog I’ve been through this entire
    day.
    best
    philips shaver review

39. Mike tyson says:

The Info in the blog is out of this world, I so want to
    read more.
    binary
    options

40. wright jhon says:

I want
    to say many more thanks for providing instructive and qualitative stuff here.
    getting
    facebook likes

41. hassil henry says:

A very
    nice stuff this is what I was looking for!!
    buy
    facebook likes and fans in cheap price! lifetime retention!

42. albert says:

The Info in the blog is out of this world, I so want to
    read more.
    web url opener

43. vacumecleaner says:

I don’t
    suppose many of websites give this kind of information.
    hajj 2014

44. alex 125 says:

Great
    blog you people have made here on this blog site, I will absolutely
    appreciate your work.
    discount
    life insurance

45. unsit polek says:

Nice
    answers in replace of the question with real point of view and explaining
    about that.
    hotels makkah

46. Melvin Gregor says:

Your
    articles and blogs are inspirational.
    online
    tutoring

47. Felix Gallant says:

It’s
    been good to see your blog when I always look for such type of blogs. It’s
    great to discover the post here.
    vivint
    security

48. unsit polek says:

Hmmmm….
    The most widely innovative information at your site has impressed lots of the
    people including me and my friends.
    online
    loan lenders in columbus ohio

49. rishan safar says:

Your
    articles and blogs are inspirational.
    garcinia
    cambogia pure

50. rishan safar says:

The
    people are very lucky to have this blog because it has better knowledge.
    garcinia
    cambogia diet

51. martinhussy6 says:

congratulations
    guys, quality information you have given!!!
    best
    remington electric shavers

Comments are closed.
Shop Survey
✕  CLOSE

Get Project Nursery delivered!

Project Nursery

Sign up and be entered to win a $50 VISA gift card towards shopping for your nursery!

*Required