It seems as if I have received numerous calls recently from gal-pals that are preggers expecting baby number 2. Many of them are living in homes not equipped with an additional bedroom that accommodates their new addition. There is always the posing question, “How should I decorate my new shared space?”. I have seen rooms that are half nursery/half toddler and from a design perspective, having a unified space is visually more pleasing which allows for a smoother transition once baby #2 grows out of their crib. Extra “big kid” bedding can be purchased to plan for that transition. Also, keeping the design less baby, allows for a well thought out space to grow with your kiddos.
Here is a mini-inspiration board I pulled together that is centered around an adorable mix-and-match bed set from the Land of Nod available in baby & big girl (there are boy sets too). In this space the room is balanced and harmonized with an aqua painted headboard and aqua painted crib. Other painted pieces possibly in white could be a mix and match to optimize storage and allow for function; such as a full size dresser with an added changing top. If you keep the furniture mismatched, then adding a piece later on will be simple to do. Instead of overly themed art, try for personalized monogram art to incorporate wall detail and whimsy.
1. Twin painted headboard – Turquoise Shed on Etsy…I love painted furniture, especially in bright colors. It adds a lot of character, plus if it gets a little bumped and bruised over time, it just gets better.
2. Floral swirl lampshade – Rosenberry Rooms…this shade would be a great addition to a pendant light, it adds the right amount of sweet & sophistication!
3. Wall decor – painted letters – Old New Again on Etsy…adding numbers or letters are a great way to add a learning tool right up on your wall all while being decorative.
4. & 6. ”With a Flourish” bedding & crib bedding – Land of Nod…this collection has many options to mix and match to create various looks…available from crib to queen!
5. Monogram art – Fancy Prints on Etsy…this print is ready to customize and frame. I love adding a personalized element to any room, plus when you can pick the color?? Bonus!
7. Posh palette spindle crib – Posh Tots…this crib can be customized in a variety of colors to match your design and can transition into a toddler bed.
8. Paint colors – Martha Stewart Living Paint – Home Depot…green (Aurora Borealis) pink (Sugared Pansy) blue (Aegean Blue)…this soft and sweet palette is colorful enough to satisfy your toddler and calming enough to rock your baby to sleep!
Tip: Sticking with a non-descript theme and using various patterns help to create your shared space will ultimately allow for a seamless baby to big kid transition!