We love hearing from our readers and thanks to our new submission feature, fun crafts and parties are finding their way to us. We thought we would share a sweet project completed by 6 year old Alivia. It makes for some great quality time with your kids while allowing you time to browse through all those catalogs that have been piling up!
Location: Sterling Heights, Michigan
Share a little about yourself. I’m a 28 almost 29 yr old stay at home mom. I have 2 daughters, Alivia, 6 and Elisea, 5 1/2 months. I LOVE anything that has to do with crafts, especially paper crafts. Decorating is also another hobby of mine. I constantly am looking for inspiration online and in magazines for updating. It’s a never ending hobby for me! My dream is to someday be part of a party planning business so I can have an outlet for my decorating needs.
What is the name of your project? Going Green with magazines! Magazine Mosaic Artwork
What inspired you to create this project? I’m in the process of de-cluttering my home and I came across piles of Pottery Barn, Land of Nod, and other catalogs that I love having around to look at for inspiration. My 6 yr old daughter loves the girls bedrooms in the catalogs so I told her to tear out her favorite ones and we’ll find something to do with them!
Please share with us step by step, detailed instructions. 1. Tear out favorite pages of catalogs or magazines (grownups can use fashion magazines or even Coach catalogs! You know you have those lying around somewhere!)
2. Draw a design on a 12×12 scrapbook paper or colored cardstock. I find easy designs such as a simple flower, hearts, or shapes work best.
3. Cut up the magazine pages into small squares and mix them all up.
4. Use Mod Podge and a small paintbrush to glue the squares into your design
5. Allow to dry then paint a coat of Mod Podge over the design.
6. Allow to dry again and frame!